Creative Small Business to Support Now + Mother's Day Gift Ideas
This is your fair warning that Mother's Day is coming up on May 9th. Take it as a warning to shop for those you love or to officially make a request for yourself. (There's no shame in asking for what you want.)
I find that shopping small for gifts is a lovely way to find thoughtful items for those you care for. In this post I want to share some shops that I think would be perfect for Mother's Day shopping (but really for any woman you care about) as well as some specific selections I would love to receive.
First up, is one of my April Lovely Makers - Emma Leigh Designs. If you've already the Meet the Makers post, you know a bit about Emma and her shop. (If you haven't read about her yet, pop over here.) I honestly could select numerous items from her shop, but here are my top two gift choices from Emma Leigh Designs:
1. A Love Your Neighbor Sweatshirt because who couldn't use a reminder to love more these days?
2. A Surprise Print Bundle. How fun to send a little surprise gift pack to someone you love?! Shop today 4/15 for 15% off $50+ orders or shop anytime in April with the 10% of code in your Lovely Makers email.
Next up, is some fair-trade, ethically sourced, handmade jewelry from Noonday Collection. You can find tons of options here, but I'm going to showcase a few that I think would be wonderful for Mother's Day. (Order by 4/27 to ensure it arrives in time.)
1. Adored Necklace because what say's "I love you" better than a "love" necklace? Also, it's one of my most worn necklaces and one that I receive constant compliments on. Seems like a win to me. Plus it's created by women coming out of exploitation in East Asia. Wear yours as a reminder that your story matters—and so does hers.
2. The Garden Party Earrings would be a lovely selection for any woman in your life, but especially those that love soft, romantic looks. These are handmade in Vietnam and created out of varying shades of horn so no two sets are alike.
3. The Heart to Heart Necklace consists of 14-karat gold hearts intertwined in this sweetly delicate piece. A perfect gift for yourself or for someone whose love and friendship you cherish. I think this one could be especially lovely for someone who has experienced loss and may struggle a bit on Mother's Day.
For Mother's Day cards, skip Walgreens and shop small! Joymark Studio is coming out with a brand new set of cards specifically for Mother's Day. Check out the new, soon to be available options on her Instagram and shop the first card now.
Shop using the 10% discount found in your Lovely Makers email.
If you're local to Nashville, I suggest popping over to OAK Nashville for some sweet gift ideas. OAK is a polished boutique showcasing a curated mix of home goods, vintage furniture, gifts & gourmet foods. Woman owned, this is a small business any interior design lover should support. (You can also order online.)
Oak is making is super easy to love the people in your life through their gift baskets! Select one of their 4 themes: Relax, Wake Up, Drink Up, or Nashville Necessities and you'll have a thoughtfully curated gift in no time.
Another small business shop in Nashville you should visit is The Good Tree in Franklin, TN. Run by three women, The Good Tree recently opened their retail space. They can assist with gift baskets, but they also have a lovely selection of customizable items which always make thoughtful gifts. Such as this:
A Wooden Cookbook Stand engraved with initials or a name
Alright, friends. I hope that helps you brainstorm the perfect gift for those in your life this Mother's Day. Remember shopping small is a great way to lift our communities while loving on our people.